Tuesday, October 6, 2015

*BookBear Presents* The Whisper King by Wil Radcliffe: A Review


I have had the privilege to work with BookBear on the upcoming book tour for a novel by Wil Radcliffe, "The Whisper King." I am very excited about this! My first book tour and I also get to promote the work of an independent author!



Synopsis: 

There is a monster sleeping deep inside of you, and The Whisper King is coming to wake it up…and rip it out!

My name is David Kinder. And this is my story... every goddamn bloodstained word of it.

About 25 years ago when I was six my parents died in a car crash. I was bounced around a few state homes until they finally settled me at Meripitt Hill, an orphanage just outside of Lansing, Michigan. It was there that the shadows started visiting me. Not normal shadows. These shadows moved on their own accord, and whispered strange, alien things to me. Scared the piss out of me.

Wasn’t until Donna Elizondo moved to Meripitt Hill that my life started to actually become bearable. She became my best friend. Taught me to love music and to dance. That kept the shadows away. That kept me safe.

That year we were an epic story of two. We danced. We laughed. Hell, I suspect I was falling in love with her, if kids could really know what love is.

But then she was taken away from me. Adopted.

That’s when the shadows returned for me. That’s when they took me to the Shadow Mountains to serve the Whisper King.

For 25 years I learned how to fight. How to kill. I even learned how to transform myself into a Cuthach…a monster. There were thousands of us being trained there. Thousands of us learning to reach deep inside and unleash the monsters in our guts. 

When a spot opened in the Whisper King’s elite guard, the Silent Heart, I was chosen to fill it. But first I had to take one final test. A test that would determine once and for all if I was destined to be man or monster.


My Review:

I don't know about you, but the synopsis had my very intrigued right off the bat! When I was asked by BookBear if I was interested in being a part of this tour, I read the synopsis and very quickly said yes! BookBear provided me with a copy of The Whisper King, and so it began.

The story is told from David Kinder's perspective. It's him as the narrator, telling you the story of his life and follows him from the time he is 6 years old, all the way to adulthood. The first part of the book is setting up for when the main character, David Kinder, ends up with the Whisper King. It's his time at the orphanage, how the Whisper King gets to him, and a character, Donna, who plays a huge part in his life, despite only being in the book briefly.

I feel like there is a lot that happens in this book, especially for a book that is 240 pages long. I was very impressed with Wil Radcliffe's writing style. The beginning part about the childhood felt a little long. At the same time, though, I couldn't make any suggestions on how it could be done differently. The childhood section is pretty important for the rest of the story. After that part is over and David is with the Whisper King in his realm, the story speeds up considerably. Not that the childhood section was slow. It just seemed to last longer than the rest of the story. I wasn't bored by any means during any part of this book.

I believe this book is considered dark  fantasy. And for good reason, as it can be violent and brutal, as well as some other adult content. As you can imagine, there is also swearing. This doesn't bother me much, except it did a little in this book. That is only because David swears like a sailor from the very beginning of the book. When you see who is role model is, you kind of understand why. However, it's always hard for me to accept a child that age using such language! I sound old when I say that...

The world that Radcliffe creates in this story is so different. There's the world we live in, and then there is the Whisper King's realm. The Whisper King's realm is dark and intense. If it isn't what Hell is like, it's got to be pretty close. I certainly wouldn't want to live there!

Overall I thought this was a great book. Wil Radcliffe did a fantastic job with his world, his characters, and his story. I gave this book 4 out 5 stars!

Until next time,

Jenell

No comments:

Post a Comment