Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Review: The Whisper King: Daughter of Shadows

Hi all,

It's been awhile, but I'm back to give you a review of Wil Radcliffe's newest release The Whisper King: Daughter of Shadows. This is the 2nd installment of The Whisper King Saga. I was asked by the author if I would like to receive a copy of the 2nd book for an honest review and I accepted.


Daughter of Shadows picks up pretty much right where the first one leaves off. It begins with the main character, David, trying to figure out a way to save his daughter. The plot sort of changes directions from there and becomes mostly about something else, but it is still related to his ultimate goal. In fact, in reflecting on the story as a whole, I'm glad that it was done that way. I don't think the story would have been as good had it solely been  about trying to rescue her. 

I really enjoyed this story! I like The Whisper King just fine. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. But this one, I liked it a lot more! It was exciting and griping! I wanted to know what was going to happen next! There is a certain element to it that I never quite get used to, which is the violence and brutality. It's just not something that you see in fiction...or at least the fiction that I normally read. There's also the mature language. Also not something super prolific in the books that I typically read. However, the language doesn't bother me. 

Wil Radcliffe has a way with words. Many of his metaphors made me laugh, partly because they were funny, and partly because they were unexpected. Although the language used could sometimes be crude, I very much enjoyed his writing style. He has created a world that has many fantastical and horrific elements in it, yet his writing feels more real and relate-able. His characters are flawed and they make mistakes. Many of them are "monsters," but they seem to behave more like a real person would. 

I very much enjoyed Daughter of Shadows and am looking forward to the next installment in the series! I have this 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Until next time,

Jenell


No comments:

Post a Comment